08 December 2006

Hot Coco and Peppermint Sticks


Music:

today’s play list
Forty Licks, by The Rolling Stones (there's just so many stones albums. I’ll stick with this one)

69 Love Songs, by The Magnetic Fields (great for dancing. fireflies//cuckoo//rabbits)

various songs by The Cold War Kids (nothing real lasting. interesting voice. tolerable)

Through Being Cool, by Saves the Day (nostalgia)

Stay What You Are, by Saves the Day (nostalgia)

( ), by Sigur Ros (music to die to. make love to. cry to. read to. speechless music)



film:
Capturing the Friedman’s
I was told (by Michelle) to not read the synopsis of this film and to blindly watch it (oxymoron, nice) with no prior knowledge of the story. It really caught me off guard when I realized what the story was about. It’s rare that we can experience a film with a blank slate-- what with trailers, and hype and media. The film confronts Hysteria, and I was able to somewhat
battle it out because I didn't have these prior judgments. I won't reveal much about it, except that it's a documentary and it’s very much worth seeing. Be sure to see the special features, too, there are helpful interviews, films, and talks. I could not make up my mind about the evidence presented in the film. Very well directed, in the sense that, Jarnecki directed the audience with questions and did not spew answers. Two people can watch the film, and have opposite reactions to the ending. That’s rare.


Book:
Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski
I further (as it was recommended to me) recommend this book to everyone. Especially if you liked Catcher in the Rye. Butowski is an interesting character, and as this book is semi-autobiographical, I sympathized with Henry/Hank the main character despite his unsentimental and harsh way of living. The abuse, the shame, the confusion, and the isolation can be understood by most anyone. I couldn't put this book down, and read it in just a couple of days. It's vulgar, has unsentimental sexual references, and sometimes painful to read through-- but the cynical teen that sprouted from a confused and abused child, turns out to be a character that we would've all liked to know-- even if he said things like

"there's an ass kicking here twice a week, Becker. You just chose the wrong day to come by".
This book is one I will recommend to everyone, especially if I don't know their taste.


The internet keeps jumping in and out at work, and during the "out" parts I write these little entries. It’s cold outside, almost in an unfair kind of way. Shouldn’t there at least be snow on the ground if we have to shiver like this??


Tonight I go to the American folk art museum to see Darger's work. This has been a year in waiting for me. I am eager. Betsy, a nice friend, will join me.

This weekends plans:
laundry
clean my fucking goddam room, can't stand it right now
throw a party tomorrow night
drink
dance
laugh
say some things that I don't mean
go to sleep w/ people all around me

wake up. Clean up. Coffee. Sunset bagel. Sunset special.
Go to Virginia’s and decorate cookies.
Go to Resurrection church (I haven't been to church in a couple of months)
go see a Sounds Familyre show


that’s the plan thus far.


Clean.
Party.
Church.

A nice little sandwich.


(all of these images are of Charles Bukowski)

No comments: